Custom Dimensions are the user defined custom variables, used to extract the customised analytical data (for example: country, language, search terms, page navigation mode, and so on) of your application.
Custom Dimensions are the user defined custom variables, used to extract the customised analytical data (for example: country, language, search terms, page navigation mode, and so on) of your application. These are used to collect and analyze the data that Analytics does not track by default. Custom Dimensions created in Google Analytics, collects the required analytical data from Google Tag Manager via Data Layer Variables.
Adding custom dimension and using in Google Analytics involves below processes. Click on this link to learn more on custom dimension setup.
- Push value to data layer
- Create Custom Dimension in GA
- Create Data Layer Variable in GTM
- Map Custom dimensions and Data layer variable
Importing ZIZERA GTM container includes 1, 3 and 4 processes. You need to manually create; only the custom dimensions in GA, in the sequence specified below.
Note: Create custom dimensions before importing customised dashboard and reports to GA.
Create Custom Dimensions
Follow the steps below to create Custom Dimensions:
1. Login to Google Analytics.
2. Click on Admin.
3. Scroll down and click on Custom Definitions.
4. Select Custom Dimensions.
5. Click on NEW CUSTOM DIMENSION.
6. Enter the below listed custom dimension Name, separately and proceed with further steps.
Note: Create custom dimension in the same sequence, specified below.
7. Retain the default value for Scope - Hit.
8. Ensure that the Active checkbox is selected.
9. Click on Create.
10. Ignore the instructions provided on the following screen and click on Done.
Custom dimensions are created with an index number mapped to it.
Note: Ensure that the index order of the custom dimensions created in GA, matches with the index order of the custom dimension values mapped in the Google Analytics Settings of your GTM container.
To view the index order of custom dimensions in GTM:
- Login to GTM account and select the required GTM container.
- Select Variables from the left pane.
- From User-Defined Variables, scroll down and click on Google Analytics Settings.
For more information on Custom Dimension creation: support.google.com.